Old October 27th 03, 10:08 AM
Nikki

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

H Schinske wrote:
Sue ) wrote:

Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't
matter, school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any
whim. What is she going to do in the real adult world when she has a
job? Stay home because she feels like it.

And what are you telling your child when you say that school is
important to stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think
that is a message that is being put across to way too many bright
kids, and one reason why so many people don't have the guts to leave
dead-end jobs or work to make their lives more interesting.

--Helen

I don't think the part time homeschooling thing would work so great. I do
think kids can miss school here and there, for family days, a museum trip,
etc. and not suffer any negative consequences. I even got some completely
freebee days where once a year or so I was allowed to stay home just because
I couldn't possibly deal with school that day! Didn't hurt me a bit. I was
top of my class, never take a sick day at work, wildly successful at life
;-), lol. I guess I think an occasional miss helps kids learn balance as
well. Sometimes things *are* more important then school or your job. Also,
with a job, we get vacation days so we can miss for whatever reason we want
to.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)