Old November 2nd 03, 11:03 PM
Carol Ann

Default What to expect at 12-week appointment?

:: (in the U.S.)...I am just wondering what to expect at my 12 week
:: appointment. They did a sonogram at 8 weeks, so I doubt they will do one
:: this time, they said they measure the belly- how do they do this? With a
:: machine or something more traditional?
::
:: I think they may want to do more of those blood tests for neural tube
:: defects etc. Other than that, what can I expect?

I had my first exam at 8 weeks. All my doctor did was take weight, blood,
urine and ask a few questions.

I had a transvaginal ultrasound. Very cool!

I had my second exam 12 weeks. My doctor took blood, urine, weight and
tried to use the doppler to allow me to hear the baby's heartbeat (couldn't
get it because I kept laughing). She DID measurements with a tape measure.

I was sent to the lab for extensive pregnancy blood tests.

I had my third exam at 16 weeks. My doctor took blood, urine, weight and I
was finally able to hear the baby's heartbeat with the use of the doppler (I
controlled my laughing fits). She MAY have taken measurements again, but
I'm not certain. I was so stunned by the heartbeat.

After discussing with my doctor that I did not want to have the amnio test,
I decided upon taking a TriScreen blood test. My doctor warned me that it
was not accurate, but I insisted.

This may be the worst decision I could have made. It came back positive for
downs syndrome. So, I decided to go ahead and take the amnio test.

*******************

Here's a copy of what I posted about my experience:

Talk about nervous! Wow! I started out having an ultrasound done. I was
so happy to be able to see the baby!

It moves and moves! The doctor came in after the US tech gathered the
important data and went in for the amnio. Unfortunately, the first stick
didn't work and she needed to do it again on the other side of my belly
button.

I can say without a doubt, OUCH!!! But, it wasn't a longterm pain. It was
over quite quickly.

The ultrasound tech allowed me to see allot of the baby after the amnio test
was complete as well. Thank goodness. It seemed to ease the tension I was
feeling and made having to be stuck worth it. My mother was able to also
come into the room and see the baby. Kevin was with me the entire
procedure.

The ultrasound tech said that the baby showed no obvious signs of downs
syndrome. Spine looked good, nucul fold (sp?) was normal....

I saw hands, fingers, knees, tummy, heart, head, nose....It was amazing to
see it. I still can't believe I am pregnant.

The due date is now March 31st. This time, the doctor says it is more
accurate.

Now we wait for the 2 weeks and see what happens.

My recommendation is to NOT take the TriScreen test. There is something
horrible about hearing "The test came back positive for downs syndrome".

Whatever you decide, I do wish you the very best and am sending happy,
healthy baby vibes your way!

~Carol Ann
www.lowcarblosers.com ~ Home of the Monthly Weightloss Challenge