Old September 25th 04, 04:31 AM
Paul Griffiths

"Cele" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:05:31 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:
"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
. com...

Saw this on another newsgroup and thought it was so terribly sad.
Since bullying has been mentioned here as something we worry about for
our kids, I'd thought I'd re-post it here.

Yeah, she was pretty much just up the road from us here. Had quite an
impact on my school at the start of term. Hopefully for the better.

We'll
see.

We had a similar one here a few years back. The girl was Dawn Marie
Wesley. She named the girls who were bullying her in her suicide note,
and they were charged and some convicted.

Doesn't help her, may help the parents but it sure as hell sends a good
message. Not aware of anything similar ever having happened here.

We also had the Reena Virk case on the island where Reena was beaten
to death by bullies. Some were convicted and one is going into the
third trial.

I think we may have talked about this one. Not nice.

Both girls were 14.

That seems to be pretty much at the centre of the age range for this sort of
thing so far as I can tell. I haven't heard of many kids under 12 or over
16 attempting suicide because of bullying. Some kind of developmental stage
I assume. Something to watch out for certainly.

--
Paul Griffiths