Old May 10th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

Default Sperm doner MUST pay child support

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...ules_that_male.
html

Superior Court holds sperm donor responsible for child support for
children of separated lesbian couple
Posted by Reggie Sheffield/The Patriot-News May 09, 2007 13:00PM
In what legal experts are calling a precedent, a three-judge panel of
the state Superior Court has ruled that a York County man must pay
child support for two children of a lesbian couple for whom he acted
as a sperm donor.

Quoting an earlier court decision, Senior Judge John T.K. Kelly wrote
that "stepparents who have held a child out as their own are liable
for support; biological parents who have exercised the rights
appurtenant to that status can be no less bound."

During the same-sex marriage/civil union/domestic partner debate I sent an
email to both state representative and state senator saying no matter how
they proceeded they needed to simultaneous develop dissolution/child
custody/child support laws to allow couples to get out of these
arrangements.

Both responded they saw no need to create new laws covering same-sex
relationships.

Although I live in a different state from this case, circumstances like this
one show the need for legislatures to act and not allow the courts to
dictate what the law should be.

Just an aside - How in the devil does the appellate court propose the lower
court come up with a CS order and visitation plan for the deceased
bio-father?