Old June 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Circe

Default Asthma, Advair and Pregnancy

Jenrose wrote:
"Colleen" wrote in message
om...
I have just become pregnant and have been using Advair for the last
year. Since the last posting to this the kids.pregnancy and
support.asthma groups in December 2003, has anyone else gained
first-hand experience or solid information regarding the use of
Advair either before or during pregnancy?

My asthma doc said no... use flovent and albuterol instead because
the long-acting seravent has a longer half-life.

Hemmm, I took Serevent through three pregnancies and no one ever said boo to
me about it. Since albuterol has such a long history of use in pregnancy
without any noticeable increase in teratogenic effects, and since Serevent
is just a long-acting form of albuterol, I don't think it's worth avoiding
Advair to avoid the Serevent component if you get better control with Advair
than you can get with other drugs. Of course, if you can get good control
with other drugs, no problem, but I personally don't think the risk of
Serevent is *near* high enough to justify taking a chance. The fetus is at
*far* greater risk of negative side effects if asthma spirals out of control
and the mother can't breathe than from Serevent.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."