Old August 29th 06, 12:36 AM posted to misc.kids
nimue

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

Jeff wrote:
"nimue" wrote in message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060827/..._st/dress_code

128 students suspended at Ind. school
Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the
first day
of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong
clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the
students for
one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those
suspended
represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank
tops and
graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also
cited for
cell phone use.

Cell phones shouldn't be used during class, except for rare
emergencies (e.g., a parent is in Iraq and can't control when she or
he can call the child).

I think a dress code is very good. However, for it to be useful it
has to be enforced.

It is difficult to enforce a dress code without sending a child home to
change. This brings with it legal liability -- if the school sends the kid
home and the kid gets hurt on the way, the school is liable. I also don't
like the idea of a kid missing class just so she can change her skirt. I
would rather have her in class. That's the battle I am fighting -- getting
the kids into class.

The principal did a good job. She has to pick her battles.

That is not a battle I would ever pick.

Jeff

snip

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah