Old August 29th 06, 12:39 AM posted to misc.kids
nimue

Default 128 students suspended at Ind. school

Banty wrote:
In article , nimue
says...

Tori M wrote:
I found it to be distracting to be in classes with kids wearing CoEd
Naked shirts (until the school figured them out lol) This was also
the "start" of the baggy jeans to your ankles pants.. kids yanking
them up all the time. I dont want to see anyones undies. I dont
see what the big deal is of wearing Jeans that fit and then going
home and changing and expressing themselves on their own time. Some
people might be suprised at how nice it is to walk without your
pants falling off all the time.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to suspend kids who violate the
dress code. Hello? The kids need to go to class to learn. We
should not punish kids by taking away their opportunity and
responsibility to learn. That is utterly counter-productive. Give
the kids detention if you must, just don't take them out of class
for violating a dress code. They need to know that going to class
and getting an education takes priority over nearly everything.

OK - so you object to the punishment and not the rule?

I agree that suspension is a pretty unimaginative way to deal with
it.

Counter-productive, too.

So, how about in-house detention,

I would be okay with after-school detention. I don't want the kids missing
class.

and in black slacks and white

shirts as required wear.

Are you saying the kids would have to change their clothes for detention?
Heck no. The logistics of that are dreadful. Furthermore, we cannot, in
NYC, do anything that could be remotely construed as humiliating the kids.
A teacher can lose his license for that.

IF the parents can't support that (and run
out and get the clothes), then their true value on education would be
apparent. It would make the point, and the clothes would add the
embarassment factor that would make the point to the kids in question.

Would you go along with that?

Banty

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah