Old May 25th 04, 02:21 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Sick of the horror stories!

Elric wrote:

So I'm having a great pregnancy all around, but since I want to give
birth in a birth center instead of a hospital, people are using my
private choice to tell me the absolute worst birth horror stories I've
ever had to deal with in my life!

Oh, just imagine what they'd do if you told them
you were planning a homebirth ;-)

Then again, they can think it, it's just that how do I keep people's
mouths shut while still maintaining friendships? I'm only at 23 weeks
(and can you tell this is my first pregnancy?), I've got a long way to
go, and any advice you can all give me about how to handle these
people would be appreciated.

You almost have to take the blunt approach. When
they start up, just say, "I'm sorry, but I've done my
homework and now I'm at a stage where I don't want to
hear or discuss negative outcomes and I'd appreciate
it if you'd respect that even if you disagree with my
choices." Then, if they keep going, leave.

Anyone been there/currently there now with this one? I'd be interested
to hear what you all have to say.

For the most part, you probably already know which
folks are likely to do this sort of thing. I'd just
avoid talking about the pregnancy at all with them.

Best wishes,
Ericka