Old May 25th 04, 06:01 AM
Joybelle

Default Sick of the horror stories!

"Kim E." wrote in message
a.net...
Hi - sorry to hear you are having those experiences, I have had similar
ones. I will be delivering at a hospital, but am preparing for a
natural childbirth and boy do people love to be negative about it. I
have thought about saying "Do you enjoy raining on people's parades in
general, or just pregnant women?" I mean, do these people stand in
parking lots and tell gruesome car accident stories as people get into
their cars?? Do they sit outside restaurants and grocery stores and
tell food poisoning stories??

hmmmm... there are people like that! There are the people who have some
wonderful stories about flying. Or how about when you are going to go
through a surgery you are nervous about anyway, and you are told the tale of
a botched surgery? (happened to my dear mom) I think some people like to
share the worst possible scenarios... Don't know why exactly. It seems some
people thrive on negativity and the worst that can happen. Watch the news
much?!

I have had two homebirths, and I got to hear my share of horror stories
while pregnant. I guess they didn't bother me too much because some people
just simply cared about me and were sharing their fears and concerns. As
for the others who just found glee in sharing the negativity I'd either give
them a couple of negative stories of my own that I'd read or heard (which
seemed to leave them at a loss of words as to why I was still planning a
homebirth) or I'd just say something like, "That's nice, but that's only one
story amidst many, many positive ones. " And I'd go on to share the
positive ones. I was quite comfortable with my decision and their stories
didn't apply to me.
--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99