Old October 12th 05, 01:28 AM
Kim E

Default Pumping for preemies

The babies would increase supply by nursing more, so the best way
to increase supply is to pump more. It is really best at this
early stage to be pumping every 2 hours since that is more what the
babies would be doing, and it keeps prolactin levels higher, which
is vital to increasing supply. (Some LCs will say every 3 hours,
but that is not sufficient for many women, unless you have a crazy
oversupply or something.) A few more tips:

- use a hands-free set up to allow easy double pumping
- compress/massage breasts while pumping to get the most out.
- drink plenty of water
- eat lactogenic foods like oatmeal, rice, barley etc (There is a
book called _Mother Food_ that details just about every food or
herb that has been known to increase supply, as well as those to
avoid that decrease supply)

There is also something called "power pumping" whereby you
basically mimic a growth spurt to increase supply. A couple of
ways this can be done. Either
- pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes, pump 10, rest 10, and repeat
for a couple of hours several times a day in addition to the
regularly scheduled pumping.
- pump every hour for 2 - 3 days

Good for you for helping out your SIL!

-kim

"Gorgon Park" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi. I mostly lurk here, but I am trying to help my
sister-in-law and
I feel over my head, so I thought I would ask here.

My sister in law gave birth to twins 2 weeks 3 days ago at 26.5
weeks
gestation. They were born via c-section because of an
incompetent
cervix. The babies are holding their own and are now above
birthweight
(which was 1 lb 12oz for one and 1 lb 14oz for the other).

She is pumping every three hours and is getting about 12oz in a
24 hour
period. The babies are now taking 12 oz in a 24 hour period. So
she
needs to increase her output.

She is taking fenugreek caplets and drinking nettle tea. I have
told
her about the PumpMoms group, but I am unsure if she has checked
it
out. I will ask if she is still seeing the LC at the hospital.
Is
there anything that an LC would be able to advise her on at this
point?

Other than that, is there anything else she may be able to do to
increase her supply enough to provide exclusive breastmilk for
these
babies?

Thanks for any advice,
Stacey