Old June 16th 05, 03:25 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Was I the only one who got the post about the daughter
being uncomfortable in other clothing -- that is, it's
a comfort thing for her to want the...hmm.. was it Juicy
Couture? -- clothes and that Marjorie is looking for
other possibilities? How did this morph into Marjorie
only shopping for designer labels?

Well, Marjorie has been sending mixed messages and changing her
story throughout the thread. In her first post, requesting
website suggestions, she said:

I would like suggestions of web sites that carry hip, well made clothing.

There was *no* mention of comfort anywhere in that post. If comfort
is the primary concern, wouldn't it have made sense to at least mention
it as a criterion?

We went to National Jean Co this afternoon and the average price of a
pair of jeans was over $200.

If she was actually shopping for yoga pants, as she later claimed, what
was the point of complaining about the price of jeans?

Then she goes on to ask for knockoffs, which as others have mentioned are
likely to imitate a style in looks far more than in comfort.

In the post where she clarifies that it is all about comfort, she still
goes on to say:

Fourth, I'm SOOO not into allowing my DD (or DS for that matter) to
become a geek outcast because I'm too cheap to buy what the other kids
are wearing.

It doesn't sound like it's all about comfort to me.

It sure sounds like she buys into the notion that her child has to have
whatever clothes "everyone else" is wearing lest she suddenly become
a "geek outcast".

So... the discussion of not necessarily giving in to a teen's desire
for designer clothing still seems pretty on-topic to me. Even though
there is a perfectly understandable element of comfort, that's clearly
not all that is going on there.

--Robyn
..