Old November 8th 03, 06:32 PM
chiam margalit

Default Tics that can drive you absolutely freakin nuts!

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...
"chiam margalit" wrote in message
m...
My son, age 11, has residual tics from a medication that he takes.
Usually they are fairly benign and we all can live with them
(scratching his nose, licking his lips, clearing his throat... not all
at the same time) but recently he has picked up a tic that is
literally driving me nuts. He cracks his knuckles constantly. Tonight
I timed him. Every 1.5 to two minutes he cracked *all* the knuckles in
both hands. He does this by punching the fingers into an open fist on
the opposite hand for maximun noise and irritation. This tic has been
going on for several months, but it's switched into high gear as
school begins to get more pressure-ridden.

Is this bad enough to warrant a medication change? It might be worth it to
discuss this with his doctor who prescribed the meds originally.

It's been discussed up the wazoo.

I'd like to comment that I had no inkling that this thread ever
posted. I never saw it, I never read any thread, and I have no clue
what anyone said previously. I think I posted the original post about
2 months ago! I can't even google it.

This is definately a tic, it's getting a tiny bit better, he's much
more aware of it since I started verbally reminding him *every* time
he started it up, but it's just a side affect of his meds. I guess
it's better than the tic that had him scratching the skin off the tip
of his nose, or the constant sniffing tic, but in general tics are
quite tough to live with.

Marjorie