Old November 17th 05, 11:43 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Another homework responsibility question

beeswing wrote:
I wrote:

In short, we have a letter into her teacher/advisor to meet with her to
discuss what our alternatives are and what suggestions she might have
to offer.

To follow up my followup, the teacher wrote back and it was clear that
she just thought my daughter needed organizational skills and a bigger
carrot. She totally missed the boat. My daughter isn't undermotivated,
she's overwhelmed to a point she can't function. I see a conference on
the horizon, and it may not be a comfortable one.

Again...any ideas? Thanks.

Better organizational skills should allow your daughter to
break up her work into less intimidating chunks, however.
I don't think the teacher missed the boat -- maybe you're
just sailing parallel paths rather than paths intersecting
at a common point.

I think a point to discuss with the teacher is how to teach
your daughter to divide tasks (maybe repeatedly) until each
individual task that comprises the whole is not so overwhelming.

If this were my DD, I might also ask her if the things she
was spending most of the time on (in DD's case, this would be,
oh, the cover page of the report) are vital to finishing. In
other words, finish the most important stuff first, then the
slightly less important, etc. That way if you run out of time,
you can still hand something in.

Scott DD 12 and DS 9