Old January 8th 08, 09:06 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Peter Bowditch

Default Bad news for liars, good news for kids

Mark wrote:

On Jan 8, 12:09 am, Peter Bowditch wrote:
State's autism rises despite vaccine change

snip

And yes, I know that the second story contains the idiotic statement
"thimerosal -- nearly half of which is made of ethylmercury". I can
only assume that the "journalist" studied chemistry at the University
of Kentucky (if at all).

Having earned my medical degree from the University of Kentucky (and
thankfully, never having encountered "Dr." Boyd Hayley), I can only
state the obvious: nutjobs can crawl out of the woodwork anywhere.
Aus has its Carole, Kentucky has its Boyd...even Costa Rica has its
[wipe the slime from my keyboard] Ilena, and Indiana, home of James
Dean, has its Jan.

Hey, I wasn't demeaning everyone with a degree from U of K. The
university that awarded me the two certificates hanging on my office
wall was the first real university in the world to introduce the
teaching of chiropractic as if it is some sort of medical science.

http://www.chiro.mq.edu.au/

Now that I have stopped retching I will make one of those popular
culture references which so confuse some of the participants he

Jimmy Dean
Rock on

And seeing that this story is all over the media:

I read the paper and I hear the news.
I search the heavens vainly for clues.

None of this means that Kentucky, Indiana, Costa Rica or Australia
have lost all sensible thought. It just means that these places
tolerate the cranks and the "problem children" rather than just
stuffing them in a place where they would be relegated to jabbering at
each other ad nauseum...we're a compassionate bunch, I should say.

Let us celebrate our tolerance of those unfortunate enough to have
been born lacking the gene that codes for rational thought. Let us
pity these souls and take the high road. Surely, they are nincompoops
and aggressive asses...they can't help it. Somewhere along the
evolutionary line they missed the boat, the Good Ship Lolli-Sense.

And where do we go from here?
Which is the way that's clear?

They can't help what they are. I think the best course is to tolerate
their rants in much the same way an adult will watch a fit-throwing 2-
year-old bang his head on the floor: you aren't going to make me get
you another popsicle, and the sooner your head hurts, the sooner you
will realize it.

--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au