Old July 29th 04, 06:47 PM
Circe

Default Birth plans, c-section, premature birth etc.

Donna Metler wrote:
wrote in message
m...
Does your hospital not allow you to have someone else in the room
with you overnight?

They were friendly about him staying with me-I'm not sure whether
he is ready to take on care for a newborn right afterwards, though!

If your newborn is anything like two of my three as newborns, there won't be
a whole lot to do. My second and third babies slept most of their first
48-72 hours of life outside the womb (#1 was another story, but let's not go
there g!). My impression is that this is pretty common.

Anyway, the main things that will need to be done by your husband if you're
rooming in are to change the baby's diaper, swaddle her after changes, and
bring the baby to you when she (I *knew* you were having a girl--I almost
wrote "she" in a post and then came back later to change it to "he/she")
wants feeding (which will be pretty much whenever she's awake, IME). If he's
a little uncertain about diaper changes and swaddling, you can ring a nurse
to come and help the first few times until he gets the hang of it. (Newborns
tend to dislike being changed fairly intensely, BTW; they often scream their
heads off so you think you're killing them, but you're really not hurting
them--promise!). But there's really not a lot more to it in the very early
going.

So, at least on this score, you probably don't have too much to worry about.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Leave no child a dime."