Old September 24th 04, 02:05 AM
Werebat

Gini wrote:
In article YaH4d.45$Ok.21@okepread04, Werebat says...

Question:

A couple have been living together for nearly a year, in the woman's
house. He earns about $50,000 per year, and she earns about $150,000
per year.

Though unmarried, they choose to have a child together.

Soon after the birth of the child, they go to family court to put it in
legal writing that each parent has 50/50 joint physical and legal
custody of the child.

Assume this goes through (will it?)

Ten years later, they dissolve their relationship. Since the house
doesn't belong to him, the man moves out.

Are there now grounds for a change in custody, if the woman sues for it?
How can the man protect himself from this?

- Ron ^*^

====
Ya gonna be a daddy again, Ron? These are matters of state law but are subject
to the mood of the judge (that day). You will have to check your statutes.
====

I'm only considering it because this woman is so exceptional. She knows
I'm posting here and has repeated many times that she doesn't want a
child unless I'm sure I want one too, and feel reasonably "safe" doing
so. She's also recommended I see a local lawyer about my options and
best bets for protecting myself. Otherwise she says she'd be happy
staying together and not having any kids.

Looks like I'm off to see a lawyer (again). Funny how they always win,
isn't it?

The irony is that I think she's a good egg, and I won't have to worry...
I've got no pressure to have a child, but the truth is I really would
like another, if it's with this woman. She's certainly not the Welfare
type, at any rate (understatement).

- Ron ^*^