Old December 28th 05, 05:13 PM
beccafromlalaland beccafromlalaland is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy James

I have been a father for
over 8 years now, I spank all three of my children and have spanked other
children as well and the plain simple truth that neither of them can seem to
handle is that spanking is an effective form of discpline.
Sure it's effective...but does it have the effect you want in the long run? Are your children well behaved because they WANT to be, because they know it's the right thing to do. Or are they well behaved because they Fear being spanked? And under what athority have you spanked other children? NO ONE Should EVER strike a child that is not thier offspring (blood or legal) under ANY circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy James
I was spanked as a child also, I didn't turn to a life of crime, I don't use drugs, my self esteem is fine, I know my father spanked me because he loved me...
I'm intrigued by this "I know my father spanked me because he loved me" if he loved you why did he hit you? Couldn't he have found a better more appropriate/effective way of discipline? Striking a child does not sound like an act of love to me...it sounds like an act of anger. As for the rest...perhaps you were fortunate enough to have other things in your life to validate you, make you feel important/valued in your family. Maybe you were really good in sports or an A+ student so you didn't have to look inward for your self worth. Perhaps you were in a stable loving houshold. So you had no need to commit crimes, or use drugs and your self esteem was fine.

What about kids who come from broken homes, who wonder if they will eat breakfast in the morning, who don't have anything good going for them, would you agree that being spanked would only add to their feelings of self loathing and possibly push them into crime/drugs/etc etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy James
anti-spanking nazis claim we are doing to our children.
First let me just say the flippant use of the word nazi is offensive and detrimental to the memory of what the REAL Nazis did.

And how do you know you aren't hurting your childs psyche? Can you see into the future to know what kind of person your child will grow up to be? Can you predict that they will have great self esteem, won't do drugs, won't commit a crime? Can you know that when they grow up they will believe that you spanked them out of love? Or is that just a lie you tell yourself so you can feel justified in striking a defensless child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy James
And despite the anti-spanking nazis claims that
spanking is dying out, it is alive and well, and in fact is even regaining
in popularity.

Jeremy
Again with the nazi statement. Spanking is dying out whether you want to believe it or not. Are you aware that the American Academy of Pediatrics no longer condones corporal punishment? Are you aware that spanking is no longer a part of Parenting classes?
Becca

Momma to two boys

Big Guy 3/02
and