Old January 1st 05, 02:15 AM
Todd Gastaldo

"anyone4tea" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had it on good authority from a friend who is a loving mother,
that the most natural, comfortable and easy position was the one in
which she chose to give birth. She was leaning forward, leaning on the
head of the bed, and the baby came out behind her.

Gravity definitely helped - I don't know if it opened the pelvis or
not, but she and several others I have been swearing by this way of
giving birth.

Lucy,

The uterus uses the baby to open the pelvis (with the help of abdominal
musculature).

If the mother was off her sacrum (off her back/butt) - and it sounds like
she was - then she allowed her pelvis to open the "extra" up to 30%.

The very sight of stirrups anyway is enough to make me cringe and I
certainly wouldn't see it as a comforting or welcoming sight when I'm
in full labor.

Stirrups mean woman-on-her-back/butt generally - which means the birth
canals is closed the "extra" up to 30%.

That's what makes me cringe - plus there is the likelihood (IMO) that being
on the sacrum torques the sacroiliac joint the wrong direction and
NEUROLOGICALLY inhibits labor.

Todd