Old July 12th 03, 03:56 AM
Doan

Default Embarrassing Students Isn't "Discipline"

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, t=F6t=F6=A9 wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:13:17 -0400, Newman Hunt
wrote:

Children who are humiliated especially by their parents don't learn to
cope, they learn that they are helpless to cope with such abuses and
they internalize the fact that they *deserve* to be abused.

The parents who abuse their children often find it very difficult to
cope with life. Most parents who abuse their children do not wake up
thinking, "Gee, I feel great today. I feel like abusing little
Johnny."

I agree.

And many parents who abuse their children are following the same
pattern their own parents followed. It is very difficult to break the
cycle, but it can be done.

No. It is very easy. All you have to do is ban spanking! ;-)

I am not one of those who believes that the government must solve
this in *most* situations. I believe that most parents actually want
to parent well, but stress makes this difficult too. We need as a
society to begin to help parents who are under stress to learn how
to take care of themselves and their children. Believe it or not
positive parenting can make their lives more bearable as well as
making the kids lives better.

Yup! Especially when both parents are working and the kids are in
daycare from 7AM to 6PM!!! Or children are left alone to care for
themselves from 3PM, when school is out, 'till whenever the single
mother got home from work! Do you still have time for positive
parenting? :-)

Doan