Old June 25th 07, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default 2 yr old, plane trip, and broken foot-any suggestions?

"Donna Metler" wrote:

We're supposed to fly to DC for a job interview for DH and a family visit
later this week, which, due to scheduling will involve a plane change in
Atlanta. Unfortunately, DH broke a bone in his foot Friday, and is on
crutches. Does anyone have any suggestions on managing the logistics of an
active 2 1/2 yr old, a carseat, and the various carryons, plus an adult on
crutches? Usually we bring the stroller and one adult handles toddler while
the other handles the stroller piled with bags (or, if toddler's in the
stroller, the other carries the carryons that don't fit in the stroller
basket-but that's with 2 able bodied adults) I have NO clue how we're going
to get into the airport in the first place, either, since that usually takes
every hand we have available.

My dd#2 put her ds into a backpack when he was running around and
didn't like to be confined. Although he was a little younger than
yours - she flew two or three times a week for about 6 months when he
was 8 months to about 14 months.

You've gotten good advice, but I will summarize

Take a limo or some other form of transport to the airport where they
will handle the checked luggage for you.

Do curbside check and check the bags all the way through.

Have the airline/airport transport you all in a wheelchair or cart
including making the plane change and getting your luggage at the
destination.

Traveling with my grandson recently, he was able to carry our carryon
items, and I could get wheelchairs (and put stuff on my lap) in most
cases. Once when there was a cart for 5 and there were 4 other
disabled people, he had to walk and meet us at the gate.

Two small glitches. Since I was in a wheelchair to go through
security, they had to pat me down, and when they found my "shoulder
holster" (which had my valuables and my blood pressure pills for the
day) under my clothes and the pill container rattled, they wanted to
see it, but I couldn't show it to them without pulling my dress up to
my chest level, and I wasn't wearing a bra. So they had to take me
into a private room. My grandson thought this was very funny and kept
saying "Grandma had a cavity search".

The other glitch was in Shannon where they gave us a wheelchair, but
did not offer a person to push. We got our bags from security, but
one person can't push a wheelchair and take care of two roller bags.