Old July 21st 06, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
arachne

Default Breastfeeding & Adoption?

Jo wrote:
I spoke to my cousin who is going to be adopting. She asked about
breastfeeding and how can she produce milk. There is a lot of
information online, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had
actually done it and how they went about it. How difficult was it?

Jo

the australian breastfeeding association produces a great booklet called
relactation & adoptive breastfeeding. (see
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod141.htm)

you could also try contacting them via email counselling (see
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/prod...ling.asp#email) to be
put in touch with counsellors or mothers who have been through adoptive
breastfeeding. i know there is at least one counsellor who has
sucessfully breastfed her adopted child.

or if you are in the usa or canada, you could try la leche league -
http://www.lalecheleague.org/

HTH

--
elizabeth (in australia)
mum to DS1 "cheese" (almost 4 yrs) & DS2 "chalk" (almost 10 mths)

"Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children" - Classified Ad

"If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come
down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything." - Gregory Maguire,
"Mirror Mirror"