Old July 22nd 06, 05:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Breastfeeding challenges

Andrea Phillips wrote:
cjra wrote:
Let me see my chart...
Since 4:30 pm yesterday (it's now 7:09 pm, so almost 27 hours), she's
had 10 stool diapers (and pretty messy ones at that) and 4 wet diapers.

Bear in mind that a lot of those stool diapers may also have urine in
them. In the beginning, it was rare for my daughter to have any diapers
that were *just* wet (and it usually meant we'd jumped the gun in
changing her,

I wondered about that - how many were both, since we're still using
paper diapers right now and they wick away the wetness so she doesn't
fuss much - whereas she goes nuts as soon as she poops.

I'm pretty sure the wisdom at this age is that as long as the number of
all diapers together is within an acceptable range, you should be fine.
She couldn't poop if she weren't getting milk, and if she's getting
enough milk to produce poop that often on what is essentially a liquid
diet, I don't see how she could be dehydrated. It's not like she's
eating pretzels. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Her poopy diapers have been pretty wet and mucousy, and she had 2 this
morning which were sort of green/brown rather than yellow, but now it's
back to yellow. She basically poops every time she nurses - during, and
in the 20 mins or so after. Given she's nursing every 1.5-2hrs max, she
poops a lot.

Of course, if you're prone to worry anyhow, keep your eye on whether
she has a slobbery mouth (good!) or lethargy and sunken fontanelles
(bad!) In general, if she looks and acts healthy... she probably is.

So far so good on that account. We have a pedi appt for Monday, and
that will have been 4-days post-discharge so we will be able to see if
there's real progress. I *am* worried she's not latching on well, as my
nipples hurt like hell, but she *is* getting milk because I can hear
her swallow. I tend to help the nursing by using my fingers close to
her mouth/on the breast to stimulate flow.

You're doing great

Thanks.