Old July 22nd 06, 05:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Breastfeeding challenges

Beth Kevles wrote:
Hi --

First, DO wake your baby during the day, since that's when you want her
to get most of her feeding in. Check with her dr. about how long you
can let her sleep at night. You may need to wake her every 4 hours, or
you may be able to let her go 6 at a stretch, or even longer.

We see the pedi on Monday, so we'll discuss this, among many other
things!

THe rule of thumb is 6-8 soaking wet or poopy diaper/24 hours. The
poops should be very wet themselves at this stage, and yellow-ish.

Only 6-8? I think she's at double that easily since she poops during
and after each meal.

If your baby is sometimes refusing to nurse, consider using some of the
EBM to trickle down the outside of your breast, or even rig up an SNS
(supplemental nursing system), in preference to using a bottle. For the
time being, your goal should be to NOT use bottles at all. Your baby
will get used to nursing, and the SNS will help ensure that she doesn't
get dehydrated.

I stuck with just the syringe feed last night and early this morning,
because she was trying to nurse but just not latching on. I'm getting
to where I can tell if she's getting much based on how the breasts feel
when she gives up.

In the first 6-8-ish weeks of life, you and your baby are working out
your nursing partnership. This means that sometimes your baby will
nurse without cease,

That's kind of what she's doing now. Makes me a little nervous that
she's nursing so much because she's not getting enough in each session.
She seems to go frequently for a few hours (like 10 mins on, 10 off, 10
on, 10 off...), then she finally gets her fill and konks out.

and other times you'll be engorged while your
recently-fed baby sleeps soundly. But over time you and your baby will
establish a routine of sorts, and your milk supply will regulate itself
accordingly. There may be times when you get stuck with nursing
"marathons" again, but that just mean that your baby's appetite is
increasing (it's called a "growth spurt") and she's nursing a lot to
help you increase her supply.

I hope that's the case now. She'll be 3 weeks Monday, so it is time for
a growth spurt. I just hope it's that and not that she isn't getting
decent amounts. I try to get her to latch properly, but there are times
it seems she's just knawing at the nipple.

I hope this makes sense.

It does, thanks!

COngratulations on your baby's arrival!

Thank you. I think we'll be celebrating 2 birthdays for her - the day
she was born and the day she came home!