Old May 11th 04, 06:38 PM
Welches

Default Pain

Shannon wrote in message
news:2004051112485411272%shannonNOSPAM@sdf1net...
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

It's not an exact point. It gradually becomes too much. (In my experience)
Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Mother. #1 was so relaxed during labour-she slept through most of it.

What I found was for #1 I had contractions starting at 1am. Mild, like
period pain, lasting about 60seconds 5 minutes apart. Too strong to sleep
through-and I was excited so didn't really try to sleep. About 12 hours
later the contractions got more painful. I went into hospital. After about
15 hours they checked me and said "well done you're 6cm dialated". By 22
hours later I had contractions coming every 2 minutes and lasting about 60
seconds still. Bear in mind that I had not slept for 22hrs either. They
checked me again and said "you're doing really well-8cm" That was the point
I called for an epidural (got it 2hrs later! Why do they make you sign
consent forms in the middle of labour? I'd have signed ANYTHING that they'd
said would take away the pain!) If they'd said 9cm I think I'd have coped
but it had taken 7hrs for 2cm and the thought of another 7hrs for the last
2cm!!! I needed the rest, and couldn't relax at all. Labour was 30 hours in
total.
#2 I never got to the point of feeling overwelmed by the pain.
Debbie

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.