Old February 19th 10, 01:03 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default Buying dumb things using allowance money

"Ignoramus15568" wrote in message
My son, who is 8, is getting an allowanca and has accumulated some
money.

Now he wants to buy something that is, in my opinion, a complete
ripoff, which is a pack of "Club Penguin Trading cards". He wants me
to buy them online and he would repay me in cash. The deal is $49 for
a pack of 50 cards. (!!!!!!!!!!!)

My first instinct was to just refuse to do so, but now I am having my
doubts. The cards are not really harmful (as would be if he asked me
to buy cocaine for his money, for example), they are just a dumb way
to spend money. But maybe this is his prerogative to do with his money
as he sees fit, as long as no harm is done.

On the other hand, if, say, he would want to participate in some kind
of fraud, like a pyramid scheme, I would be right to refuse. These
cards are just one step away from fraud, so maybe the refusal has
merit.

Thoughts?

Basically it's his own money so I'd say within any limits you've already set
he can spend it. But my initial thought (translating into £) is how much
pocket money does he have? My 9yo would have to be saving up for over 6
months to get that amount.
Me and my husband were discussing last night how our children spend their
money. #1 (age 9) spends very little on herself. She buys things for
friends, presents for family and puts the rest in whichever charity box
she's got at the time. #2 (age 6) tends to spend her money on odd junky
things that give her immediate pleasure but have no lasting value.
Debbie