Old February 8th 09, 06:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default How many uniforms for a kindergartener?

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
For those who have/have had children in schools which use uniforms, do you
have any suggestions on how and what to buy? DD will be required to
actually wear the full school uniform for parochial school K in the fall
(instead of the "clothing that adheres to the dress code" that pre-K is
allowed), and I'm considering going ahead and buying a few pieces at a
time, a size up, since I KNOW what the uniform policy is and it's unlikely
to change (I think there would be a rebellion, given the number of hand me
down loops and multi-child families which already exist).

Thanks!

Depends on your child.
My children wear collared Airtex t-shirt, pinafore, sweatshirt
cardi/sweatshirt and socks/tights. (or summer gingham dress and cardi in
summer)
I always change socks/tights every night for both of them.
#1 never needed to change her cardi midweek. #2 needs a change most days,
especially if she's on school dinners. I have 2 sweatshirts for her, so I do
sometimes have to dry them overnight. They do dry on the radiator quickly.
T-shirts/summer dresses, I assess each day. It's change every other day,
unless visibly dirty, with #2 again it's about daily. I'd say minimum 3
shirts needed, but 5 makes life easier. They're about £1 each new so it's no
issue for cost. Summer dresses I'd say 5, so you only need to iron once a
week. They do tend to get dirtier in the summer too.
Pinafores, I use about 3-4 a week. #1 used to use two-one with zip fastening
for games days, and one (which she preferred) with button fastening. #2
needs them changed more frequently, but I don't need 1 every day.

Uniform is pretty cheap here, and cheaper on the second hand market. When I
was little few people had changes other than shirts. When I pulled my sister
into the bath, she had to go without uniform the next day! Now most people
seem to have several changes. I make the summer dresses, which is more
expensive than buying new, but they look nicer.
I could probably dress twins in what I've got, without being short, but I
probably haven't spent £50 in total on each ones' uniform.
Debbie