Old September 18th 03, 11:19 AM
Laurie

Default ER visit -- part vent, should I complain? Long, as usual

toypup wrote in message .. .

"Tina" wrote in message
. com...
Does anyone else think it's exceptionally slow to wait three and a
half hours after a head injury with symptoms (sleeping, uneven gait,
pain moving around her head) in a child with a bleeding disorder to
get a catscan? I'm still angry (obviously), but I don't know how
angry to get, if I complain. That nurse definitely lied, I know that
for sure. Maybe, even though the hematology department called ahead,
the nurse wasn't aware of the full extent of the clotting issue?
Should I have documents prepared to take with me in the future? If
you do think it was a long time, what would you do next time? (Last
head injury we waited about the same amount of time, but she had no
symptoms, so I wasn't near tears, really) . Does anyone know, if she
had been bleeding inside her head, would that amount of waiting made
things worse -- or is there anything that could have been done in that
time to lessen an injury if there was one? Or is it like some things
where if it's going to happen it's going to happen, and there's no
stopping it? In which case, why do they send us for catscans?!?

I don't know the answer to all your questions, but from a layperson's POV,

do think your DD's case sounds quite serious. Maybe the nurse didn't know
what VW is. Though they have medical training, they aren't MD's and they

do
err quite a bit with the diagnostics.

Knowing that VW is a clotting disease should be enough. That coupled with
the fact that the child was sleepy, complaining of head pain, and the mom
said she wasn't acting right are all major red flags. This nurses "triaging"
abilities are deplorable.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Some MD's I know personally complain
about the emergency cases they get in urgent care or in their office that
should obviously have been sent to the ER next door. These are patients

who
are triaged by a nurse. I remember once, I was very ill and my lungs
started to feel like they were collapsing right as I was talking to the
nurse. She told me I was just anxious. Of course I was anxious, I wasn't
getting air, though not to the point of passing out or turning blue, but
it's alarming just the same. Never happened before or since. Anyway, they
don't always know what they are talking about. When you have your doubts,
make a fuss. At least have the nurse's opinion of the severity your

child's
problem assessed by the MD on duty. Then, if he concurs, you have at least
a second opinion and would feel more at ease with the wait.