Old January 26th 04, 04:30 PM
klaatu

Default Healthy baby born to 11-year-old in Ukraine

Daye:
I knew a girl from my old neighborhood in Alabama
who was pregnant at 10, and she had the baby at 11.

klaatu:
i know several who delivered before 12 too,
but maybe this is the record:

http://youngest_mother.tripod.com/

Peruvian five-year-old Lina Medina
was only 5 years 8 months old
at the birth of her child on Mother's Day, May 14, 1939,
and is still the youngest known mother in the world.

Lina Medina's parents thought their daughter had a tumor
and when shamans in their remote village could find no cure,
her father carried her to a hospital.

Just over a month later, she gave birth to a boy.

Born at full term at Lima's maternity clinic,
her child was taken through a caesarian operation
(Dr.Lozada and Busalleu, operators, Dr. Colretta, anesthesiologist).
The child (boy), weighing 2,700 grams,
was well formed and in good health.
Child and mother were able to leave the clinic after only a few days.

After taunting from schoolmates, Medina's son, Gerardo -
discovered when he was 10
that the person he had grown up believing to be his sister
was in fact his mother.

Gerardo died in 1979 at age 40
from a disease that attacks the body's bone marrow,
but it was said it was not clear there was any link with his illness
and the fact his mother had been so young at his birth.

Medina herself married and in 1972 had a second son,
33 years after her first.
Her second child now lives in Mexico.

klaatu:
interesting to me that this Ukrainian girl delivered without problems,
and *all* of the pre-teen mothers i've seen with my own eyes did too,
and Lina Medina delivered her son while still under 6 years old
at full-term, without any complications, either.