Old January 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
melizabeth

Default Fist Sucking?

Children use sucking as a means of calming themselves. I wouldn't consider
it a nervous habit, just a typical reflex that many newborns have.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true
"Zucca4" wrote in message
The one thing that really undermines my nursing confidence is my 8 week

old's
tendency to suck on his fist like a madman, even minutes after a nursing.

was under the assumption that this was a feeding cue especially when he

would
also open his little mouth and turn his head to the side, however he

almost
always opens his mouth when I tickle his cheek. He seems to ALWAYS be

hungry...

He is gaining weight and I desperatley want to believe my body is

producing
enough milk for him, however the fist sucking really gets to my heart I
always think he's hungry and not getting enough. However when I put him to

the
breast again after a decent nursing period he'll only suckle for a minute

or
two and get lazy or fall asleep.

Maybe ths is just a nervous habit?

What do you guys think?