Old September 29th 04, 06:25 PM
Joelle

Sexual abuse is the only form of abuse you are required to report? What
about if the child is threatening to harm oneself?

Thinking about suicide isn't usually something that one brings into the
confession...of course I'd tell their parents, but legally the only thing
clergy are required to report is sexual abuse. Everything else is really up to
our own discretion. But if someone tells me in confession that they murdered
someone, I can't be required to testify to that. Although the law's changing
and there is less and less respect for clergy so I suppose that will come to an
end soon...

I want my kid to not do anything stupid and if another adult
prevents that, that is good too.

I just don't think telling a kid where to get free birth control is preventing
anything stupid.

I would just hope that the adult could
confide in me also.

That's all I'm asking for. "Hey, Tiffany, your kid was at my house asking
about birth control, you might want to check that out" "Oh thanks Joelle, and
I'll try to bring it up in a way so it doesn't look like you came tattling" is
a conversation that can do a kid a lot more good than an address for a clinic.
IMO.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle