Old September 22nd 04, 06:25 PM
AZ Astrea

"Beachcomber" wrote in message

Similarly, rather than reform a system woefully out of touch with boys'

real
world natures and needs, our schools find it easier to demand that boys

be
something other than boys.

I went to elementary school in the early 1960's. There was no Ritlin
or diagnosis of "Attention Deficit Syndrome". As a boy, I don't
always remember sitting still all the time, but we did respect the
teachers and did what they asked of us, more often then not.

If a kid did something really bad, he or she had to stay after school
or see the principal. That or the prospect of a note or a phone call
to our parents was enough to put a scare into us and make us behave.

I have a problem understand what is so different today? Are the kids
that different? Are they wilder? Are they breathing air of a
different chemical compositon? Or are the teachers less skilled and
less willing to put the effort into correcting behavior. Anyone?

No mention of the parents?? The parents are supposed to be the first line
in teaching their kids values, morals and that they are not to misbehave at
school. Or maybe THAT is the problem. Parents aren't supposed to hurt poor
little bratleighs self esteem by actually being a parent and telling him no?
Hell apparantly parents aren't even in the equation when it comes to
behavior. Only teachers and bad air are. Sheesh.

~AZ~

Beachcomber