Old May 28th 04, 02:20 AM
Donna Metler

Default C-Sec and steps....and driving??

"Donna" wrote in message

"Jacqui" wrote in message
. 7...
Donna wibbled

I have been under the impression that the major risk
factor in even a minor accident (following abdominal surgery) is
impact with the steering wheel.

I would imagine that wearing a lap belt is out, though, since a
crash with a lap belt can have nasty results in the midriff area
anyway, and if you did have a crash with a low-slung shoulder belt
it could hurt a heck of a lot - I felt like I bruised very easily
for a while after mine, if the baby kicked my stomach while nursing
for instance. Because the nerves are cut and you can't feel much
around the incision until they start to reconnect, you could in
theory do some damage that you wouldn't notice for some time, I
suppose. Certainly my wound infection didn't hurt at all, and it
certainly should have given the swelling and whatnot. But I went
home from hospital in the car and no one mentioned anything then,
just that I shouldn't drive myself.

That's what is so curious. What you observe above certainly makes sense,
but I do wonder why riding as a passenger isn't given as a routine risk?
It;s curious.

Donna

I expect because, while it's possible to not drive for a month, it's not
possible to not be a passenger for a month. If no other reason, you're
probably going to have a follow-up appointment for you and the baby within
that time, have to come back and get the staples out, etc. I can think of 6
times at least I had to be in the car going somewhere the first month after
coming home from the hospital-including several within the first week.