Old September 18th 05, 07:21 PM
Hillary Israeli

*On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:15:13 EDT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
*
*My daughter walks or rides her scooter or bike to her elementary school
*every day. Because the route goes on a footpath, it's only a quarter mile;
*the route by motor vehicle is four times longer. The biggest problem right
*now the kids walking is all the other parents who drive. She only has one
*street to cross, and of course there's crossing guards, but the parents
*still do not seem to respect the pedestrians in the vicinity.

My son's school drop off/pick up situation is going to make me crazy.

We do not live close enough to walk - it's about 8 miles away, over the
river and through the woods (literally! and we actually drive past his
grandmother's house as an added bonus ). So, ok, we drive. We're
required to make a left into the lot and a right out of the lot - this
means that we have to actually go around the school because the way we
approach, we'd have to make a right into the lot which is forbidden. So,
ultimately what happens is a huge line of cars forms waiting to get into
the lot... and the cars which are just driving down the road NOT wanting
to get into the school... what do they do? They reasonably enough do not
want to sit in traffic 2 city blocks worth for "no reason," so they
decide to just drive in the lane reserved for opposing traffic! This is a
two-lane road. It's also curvy. So when people start EXITING the lot, they
are confronted with the cars going the WRONG WAY. It's a huge problem,
IMO. I mean, I've only been doing it for a week, but several times last
week I feared for my life. Literally. And I had my babies in the car.... I
think the pedestrians have it easy, because the pedestrian access is via a
walking path slightly apart from the parking lot. You don't have to get
near any of this craziness if you walk! Lucky pedestrians.

I asked the head of the school if the school had asked for police support
and she indicated they had, but it was not forthcoming.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth