Old November 4th 05, 02:50 PM
Penny Gaines

Default Halloween candy

dragonlady wrote:

[snip]
I'm pretty radical about this in many way:**if*someone*is*in*the*house
at meal time, I feed them.**Period.**And*they*eat*whatever*we're*eating
(assuming they want it) -- and if it turns out there isn't enough to go
around, we just cut it thinner, and have smaller portions ourselves, too.

I don't think most of you would invite company over and serve yourselves
one thing while you served your guests something less desirable.**Why*do
you think it's OK to treat your kids worse than you'd treat your guests?

[snip]

But there is the other side of this: in our house, dh gets to go to lots
of posh events, and first-class restaurents. I don't, because spouses
don't get invited to this sort of business event.

Does this mean I have to miss out on the really nice stuff, because I have
to share it with the kids who won't appreciate it? I mean, if I get a nice
box of chocolates, I am happy to share it with the rest of the family. OTOH
I don't want to effectively put $10 worth of chocolate in the bin, because
I let a kid take a chocolate which I *knew* they wouldn't like. Especially
if I won't get another box like that for probably another year.

I know I'm coming at this from a completely different perspective. Growing
up, we used to be given boxes of chocolates to share with my siblings,
and I'd be expected to have the nut ones, rather then the nicer ones,
because one of my siblings disliked nuts.

I don't see that having to share the nice stuff in the house with every one
in it is fair, when I know some of those people are having really nice stuff
outside the house.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three