Old April 13th 04, 01:47 AM
dragonlady

Default Homework over spring break (long)

In article ,
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote:

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

I'm on a committee that inadvertently scheduled a meeting for the first
night of Passover. We DO know better -- at least one of the people who
was in the room when we did the scheduling was Jewish -- somehow we just
missed it. (We rescheduled it once we DID figure it out -- and I like
to think that I'd have somehow caught the mistake eventually, myself,
though I don't celebrate Passover -- but someone did have to draw our
attention to our goof.)

This is made more challenging by the fact that the holidays move around
on the secular calendar. It's quite easy for even most Jews to miss
the fact that a certain secular date is going to wind up conflicting
with a major holiday more than a few weeks before the date.

--Robyn

When you live in an area that is seriously multi-ethnic and
multi-religious, things get interesting. I try to have all of the major
Jewish, Christian and Islamic holidays on my Palm Pilot, but somehow a
bunch got dropped off when I bought a new one. Right now, I don't think
I need to add any others -- but could easily see adding Ba'hai and Hindu
and Jain and Buddhist in the not too distant future! The trick is to
know TWO things: when the holidays are, and what the
expectation/restrictions are for them.

meh