Old April 13th 04, 02:36 AM
Beth Kevles

Default Homework over spring break (long)

In my opinion, YES, you should push the issue with your daughter's
teacher. It's not appropriate for children to have to do project
homework over a vacation period. It is appropriate for kids to make up
missed work or to do enrichment if they're falling behind in some area,
but even that shouldn't be so much as to overwhelm family time.

One of my kids was asked to do some handwriting practice and some math
facts practice over the break. It was listed as *optional*. My other
child took the chance to catch up on some work missed due to illness and
is now caught up with the rest of the class.

I've noticed that, on breaks of any length with no schoolwork, my kids
grow intellectually. One child (age 8) LOVES to read and write, and
spends his breaks writing novels. (He's up to 4 pages now ...) My
other child (age 6) runs, jumps, plays, and then spends evening time
reading to himself ... something he NEVER has the energy to do on school
days, and rarely on weekends.

School does somtimes interfere with life ... :-)
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.