Old April 1st 04, 01:36 AM
Naomi Rivkis

Default Question: regaining lost milk supply?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:19:45 GMT, "New York Jen"
wrote:

I'm sorry you're going through this. Are you supplementing with formula?
What makes you think you're drying up other than the fact that you're not
leaking and you can't get much with a pump? Is your baby wetting diapers
and pooping?

I was convinced all the time with Laszlo that my milk was drying up - just
being paranoid about it all the time. At first I used the pump as a direct
indicator of how much milk I was producing, until I learned that it is NOT a
good indicator of that AT ALL. As a matter of fact, my son was gaining
beautifully and I was lucky most days if I could pump 1 ounce.

Without knowing your supplementing situation, I'd have to say to keep
nursing as much as possible. Also, leaking doesn't happen forever, so it's
possible that your baby's still getting enough milk, just that you've
adjusted to the demand and that you don't leak anymore.

I know she's not getting enough from me; we've had to supplement with
formula almost from the beginning. She would drain me and then howl
for more. I've tried to use the pump to stimulate more flow, so that I
could *stop* supplementing, but it's gotten worse instead of better. I
think she's still getting some from me, because she does stay on the
breast for a while even when she's hungry, and she's swallowing. But
she doesn't get anywhere near enough given the quantity of formula she
gulps down after she's finished with the breasts.

Naomi