Old April 1st 04, 07:42 AM
CY

Default Question: regaining lost milk supply?

Hi Naomi

Sorry to hear that you are having problems but it is possible to relactate
even if you have completely dried up (it's even possible for adoptive
mothers to lactate), but it is going to take commitment. I strongly suggest
you see an good IBCLC. It's very much worth it if you get a good one and
you can find one in your area by going he
http://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcdirectory.html

Some other things you can do:

1) Stop bottles and pacifiers immediately. Any supplementation should be
done using a syringe or a cup (or an SNS might be good in your case to
increase your supply - this is another good reason to see an LC as they can
show you how to use it properly). Your baby's sucking needs should be met
by the breast and nothing else.

2) Eat oatmeal

3) Use Lactaflow or More Milk (or something with Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle
etc.) rather than Mothers Milk (which is not a very strong galactalogue)

4) If you can spend the weekend in bed nursing (I don't know if you have
another child, but if so could you get someone to help you this weekend?)
skin to skin and just nurse round the clock, that will help your supply

5) Push extra fluids. It's very important. I found the only way I could do
this when my DD was a newborn was to make a pitcher of ice water and put it
in a central place. Every time I saw the pitcher I filled my glass. Sports
bottles are another good way - have them all around the house where ever you
nurse.

6) Try to get it out of your head that she must be hungry because she eats a
whole bottle of formula after you're done nursing. Breastfeeding is all
about supply and demand. The less you nurse the less your body produces.
Putting your baby to breast is the best way to increase your supply. Like
Dagny said, she may just be eating the formula because it's there and not
because she's as hungry as all that. Obviously your supply is not where it
needs to be if you've been supplementing from day 1, but once you start
supplementing with bottles, it can be a very slippery slope. Better to fix
it now than wait, so whatever you can do *now* is gong to save you a lot of
other stuff later.

Please keep us posted and ask as many questions as you need!! Good luck!

{{Naomi}}

CY
"Naomi Rivkis" wrote in message
My milk is going, if not already gone! I've been
drinking Mother's Milk tea and nursing or pumping as
much of the time as possible lately to try and
stimulate more of it, but it's been slowly dwindling
anyway and I don't know if it can be saved. I suspect
dehydration and semistarvation as the culprits; I've
been bad about taking care of myself recently; the
baby takes so much of my attention I haven't been
getting in my own meals. I've tried to get apple juice
down at least, but it's hard, and stress tends to
cause nausea for me, which doesn't make it any easier.

Anyway, the question is, if it's honestly gone -- and
I think it is; my breasts feel different today, more
'normal' than since before I conceived, and I'm not
leaking anymore, nor can I get anything out with the
pump -- is it gone for good (or at least till I have
another baby) or is it possible for desperate measures
to restart it again?