Old June 17th 07, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default jumperoo?

We had something similar to this but it clipped onto a door frame, not
on it's own frame, it also didn't have fancy stuff on it, so the entire
fun of it was the bouncing, not anything else. We had one child who was
keen on pulling up, cruising, never crawled and walked just before a
year, he loved the baby bouncer. A sounds very much like our 2nd,
scooting less iirc, not crawling, not really pulling up etc. and she
didn't like the baby bouncer! I wonder if this is simply that her other
activities were dictated by her personality, learning method etc. and
the fact she wasn't doing them was for similar reasons to her not liking
that style of toy. As it happened she started crawling a little after a
year and walked somewhere between 14 and 15mths.

I think the thing is with milestones for gross motor skills is there is
an awful lot of natural variation, and so many different routes to get
to the final result of walking, I believe average for walking is
supposed to be 13mths, it doesn't look like it now to you, but it's also
entirely possible she will do it by then as that's just one of many ways
children behave! I recall also that 18mths was a point where people
did start to get a bit concerned if a child was not walking, though
parents get anxious before then, I suspect because there is a big
cluster learning to walk between 11 and 15 mths that after that, whilst
not being an indicator of anything, is frustrating and anxiety causing
for the parents.

So, I wouldn't have your mum buy this toy. However, if you don't have
anything that can be pushed along, I'd ask her to buy that instead, we
have a lovely wooden trolley filled with bricks, similar to
http://tinyurl.com/34cumb, I don't think it particularly helped, though
it may have increased confidence after the skill had been learnt, but
it's a toy that has provided a lot of enjoyment over a long period of
time, we only just put it away, and DD, 2, would still use it if it was
out, but DS was misbehaving with it.

Anne