Old August 23rd 06, 11:36 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
Nina Pretty Ballerina

Default How Dangerous is Childhood

"toto" wrote in message
http://health.theledger.com/article/...11/FAMILY/1478

How Dangerous Is Childhood?
NICOLE NEAL
c. 2006 Cox News Service

How Dangerous Is Childhood?
NICOLE NEAL
c. 2006 Cox News Service
Distributed by The New York Times Syndicate

Adam Walsh's childhood wasn't the only one that ended 25 years ago.
Childhood -- and parenthood -- would never be the same.

On Aug. 10, 1981, the severed head of the South Florida boy was found
in a canal in Vero Beach.

If

i have not read that entire article, but it always seems not so much the
risk of something happening when consdiering, say, letting little johnny
explore the local forest...but the magnitude of such an event, remote that
it may be.

If i let my kid, say crawl around in the garden, he has a fair chance of
injuring himself i reckon, but not mortally... actually he has a fair
chance of injuring himself if he walks down the hallway, but hey, he is 16
months.

But if i let my 6 yo go into the men's toilet by himself at our local
shopping centre, the risk of something is FAR lower than ds3 in the garden,
but the magnitude...*shudder*

i always think these sort of articles gloss over that aspect to this debate

chris