Old May 15th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

Default My Daddy Misses Me posters

With the latest effort by the CSE in Virginia to track down low income
parents, I had an idea come to me as to how to counteract this. One of
the obstacles for a compatible list of "visitation violators" or
"parenting time purloiners" is the threat of a lawsuit for libel or
invasion of privacy, the things that interestingly enough the government
immunizes itself from.
Well, there are a couple of ways to prevent a lawsuit. The first is
to only put up posters of people who have flagrantly violated a court
order. This would have the advantage that it is backed up by a court
document, and therefore, qualified immunity applies. The only thing
that is bad with this, however, is that you would actually have to wait
for the courts to make this finding, and we all know how slow it is when
it comes to trivial issues like father's playing a role in their
children's lives other than "cash fund".
But libel law in the United States is rather generous in some other
ways. For instance, if the statement is a true opinion, you cannot be
sued for that. And a statement that says "My Daddy Misses Me" is just
that. The mother certainly isn't a psychic, and there's no way she can
make him testify against himself.
So what I came up with is a set of fliers labeled "My Daddy Misses Me"
that I'd love to distribute around or near the places propagating the
deadbeat lists. I've put up a mockup at
http://www.ncprevue.com/mydaddymissesme.pdf If anybody else has any
ideas about this, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

--
The NCP Revue -- http://www.ncprevue.com/blog