Old August 16th 03, 01:40 AM
Andrea

Default How to deal with fears?

I know that childhood fears start popping up around this age (3 1/2 next
month), but one of my twins is taking it to the extreme. Madison will not go
into any room by herself until someone goes in & turns the light on for her,
even in the middle of the day. She says there are monsters everywhere. She
also asks questions about monsters all the time. She asks if I like monsters
and if Daddy likes monsters. I keep telling her there are no monsters. She
wants Jordan to go everywhere in the house with her because she says she is
scared.

Is there anything else I can do to help ease her mind? I have thought about
making a "monster spray" and spraying it around to "get rid of the monsters",
but I feel that might be counterproductive since I keep telling her there are
no monsters. I feel terrible that she seems to be so worried about this. I
don't know if there's something I can do about it or if we just have to wait
out this stage. What do you all think?

Oh, I also wanted to add that I monitor what they watch on TV very closely, so
it's not like she's up at night watching the Sci Fi channel or anything like
that. There are only a few shows they are allowed to watch, but I did notice
something about a "monster bear" on 'Little Bear' a while back, but it didn't
seem scary at all to me. I'm not sure if this contributed to her fears.

TIA,
Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3/22/00