Old August 16th 03, 04:40 PM
Shirley M...have a goodaa \\;-\)

Default How to deal with fears?

The monster thing disappears about 8 or so. We just recently have been able
to go and come from dark rooms (most of the time with a flashlight). At 3
we did monster checks all over and yes the spray kind of works for a short
time then they discover that they don't go away. We gave each a flashlight
to make sure the "monster" doesn't come back. They never used it but felt
comfortable having their own weapons to help see in the night. We always
use nightlights and even now leave on a reading light until they are
asleep - then I turn it off. I don't think there is any problem with it, my
own mother used to sleep with lights on when my dad worked the midnight
shift so I learned to sleep with the lights on. Anyhow, we don't make fun
of them but help them control the situation, even at 8.5.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Andrea" wrote in message
I told them to blow the monsters away. Then we all blew really
hard. Since then we've decided that monsters have lots of hair, like on
sesame street, and when we blow it messes up their hair. That's why they
don't like it and go away. Now we just make up silly stories about all

the
silly monsters and they know they have the "power" to get rid of them
whenever they want by blowing. It worked for us. That's what my
sleep-deprived brain came up with anyway. ;-)

That's a great idea! You're right, that does empower them. I'll try it
tomorrow and see if it works for Madison (fingers crossed).

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3 yrs. old