Old September 20th 05, 08:05 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Joybelle wrote:

I do think the hydrocephalus may be a bit of a factor (but at this point it
isn't-baby is measuring up consistently 7days behind and the head is
measuring up along with that), but I did have some lowering of my amniotic
fluid index. That's when I was told I wouldn't be allowed to go to 40
weeks. I'm finding that I'm fine with the idea of a vaginal birth if I go
into labor, and I'm fine with a c-section if it's indicated I need one, but
I'm not very fine with the idea of an induction. The AFI did go up last
time, so I have to think that gives me some bargaining room.

With that one, you can also ask for a clear description
of risks vs. benefits. On the one hand, we know that in general,
the tests are less than definitive. If one doesn't look so great,
try another the next day and see if you get a different reading.
Two bad readings are far more indicative of problems than one
bad reading.
I don't think you ever need to schedule an induction
in advance. Either there's evidence that it's necessary *now*,
or there isn't. If there isn't, you can wait and look for
more evidence tomorrow (or next week, or whenever would be
appropriate). So, just take it one day, and one set of
tests at a time and deal with the issue of induction when
you have evidence that you need to get the baby out now.
When/if that happens, *that* is the time to evaluate
the likelihood of success of an induction. What is your
Bishop score then?
If you go step by step, it makes a lot of the
"what ifs" easier to deal with.

Best wishes,
Ericka