Old August 25th 06, 11:13 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
FlowerGirl

Default How Dangerous is Childhood

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
oups.com...

FlowerGirl wrote:
"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
oups.com...

I disagree .. the way I see it is that Chris is teaching her son to be

aware
of his surroundings (ie "stranger danger").

I think you missed my point. That she *risks* doing so, not that she
*is*. If she's handling it carefully, she probably WON'T cause it.
Just as if she lets him go into a bathroom alone, he will probably
never be harmed. Are you seriously claiming that there is no risk to
stranger danger teachings?

I'm saying that I don't think teaching a kids about stranger danger leads to
adults with serious trust issues. A healthy mistrust of strangers is a good
thing IMHO.

Howabout that Utah kid, who was so distrustful of strangers, that when
he became separated from his family in a national park, he hid from
rescue searchers for several days?

Never heard about the Utah kid, but we're in Oz so it didn't make the news
here.
I wonder if the recent murder of the 8 yo girl in a public toilet in Perth
(while her uncle and brother waited outside) made the news elsewhere?

And stranger danger is SERIOUSLY overrated. The vast majority of all
strangers are not out to get your kid. I think we should teach them
"stranger caution", not stranger danger.

Semantics.
...and I personally don't think stranger danger is overrated but then that's
my opinion.

I seriously doubt that Chris not letting her 6 yo son go to the men's

dunny
by himself will turn him into a "fearful, distrustful child, who then

turns
into an adult who has trouble connecting with people".

Me too.

...but I reckon
even a comparatively mild encounter with a sleazebag in a public toilet
would accomplish that *really* well.

Perhaps. But the chances of that are REALLY low.

....and that was also Chris's point ... the chances are low, but the
magnitude of the consequences is huge. I'll be picking the option I find
easier to live with, as I'm sure you also will.
Amanda