Old August 4th 03, 04:19 AM
denise

Default COMPLETLY at the end of my rope!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 00:31:27 GMT, "Charlotte M."
wrote:

"denise" wrote in message

Hi Denise,

I'm going to ask you a whole bunch of questions that I'm sure you've been
asked at least six times already, but your info will be helpful.

Also, I'm going to ask the UNthinkable: Can you post your answers without
trimming?

Gave birth by csection (after a 20 hour labor - ugh!!) 19 days ago.

What type of drugs did you use through your labour? How far into your labour
were they administered? (As in hours into your labour AND how dilated you
were if you know.)

Water broke at 5:30 - at noon, only diated 1cm so they started pitocin
slowly. By 4, they were upping it, by 7, they were adding fentynol (?)
and kept upping the pitocin for what seems like every 30 minutes until
midnight even though I was 10 cm by 8pm. Finally had the csection at
2am.

What type of drugs did you use for the epidural and when were they
administered?

Had an epidural around 5pm I think. It was a "light" epidural. I
have no idea what drugs they used.

What did you finger feed her and did you ever give her a bottle? If you did
give her a bottle, which brand nipple was it?

Gave her a bottle when we came home. Finger feeding just wasn't
cutting it anymore as she was up to almost 2 ounces by day 6. Finger
feeding her my colostrum and supplementing with hospital provided
Nutragimen. Pumping my own milk to bottle feed and occasionally
supplementing with soy-based formula as well. Started out with Dr.
Brown bottles but the lactation consultant told us to switch to Avent.
as she was losing too much
weight.

How much weight did she lose? Specifically, how much was she at birth and
how far did she drop by day 3? (I need to determine what percentage of her
weight she lost.)

Don't know how much she lost - they just told me she was close to
losing 10% of her weight. She was 6 lbs 8 oz at births. At two week
check up though she was up to 7lbs 4 oz.

Also, what was your due date compared to when you gave birth? Was she a
full-term baby?

Gave birth at 37w3days.

How many times did you put her to the breast in a day?

Can't count!!! Probably every time at first and then 3-4 times a day
towards day 6.

What did she do when you tried to latch her? Did she scream and arch her
back? Did she make snorfling noises and whip her head back and forth in
frustration? Did she just lay there and do nothing?

She licks, then thrashes and will NOT open her mouth all the way. Then
cries, roots, cries, screams, won't open her mouth - roots the
opposite way, they goes into full ultra-sonic panic mode. Rarely does
she just lie there unless she's asleep and when she's asleep, we can't
get her to move for all the tea in China.

When you say finger feeding, do you mean a finger or do you mean a Haberman
bottle? How does she respond before you cram? How does she respond to having
food crammed in?

Finger with a syringe and small tube that the LC gave us. She whips
her head back and forth even as we're jamming the bottle in. Sometimes
she only grabs the tip.

I have been religiously pumping every three hours and could
fall asleep at the drop of a hat, I'm so exhausted.

I bet.

I'm so tired of pumping, I'm crying all the time trying to get her to
bf and nothing we do works. We've tried it all - nipple shields,
feeding her a bit at first to calm her down, finger feeding, massage,
letting her get really hungry, *6* lactations consultants, books,
magazines, internet sites for advice - you name it, we've tried it. I
don't want to give up but I'm at my wit's end. Has anyone been in
this place and what the hell do I do??? I can't pump like this
forever and my breasts are ready to fall off.

Holy crow you've tried a LOT. In fact, my spider sense is that you've been
given too many things to try and not enough consistency. Let's see if we can
get rid of a whole pile of the stuff and get the babe back on your breast so
you can ditch the pump.

Me, I've never seen a suicidal newborn who prefers self-imposed death by
starvation, so I hold out LOADS of hope. You've come a long way already.

I don't feel like it.
Thanks for any help.

--
Charlotte Millington