Old August 4th 03, 04:27 AM
Lara

Default COMPLETLY at the end of my rope!!!!!!!!!!!!

denise wrote:

Gave birth by csection (after a 20 hour labor - ugh!!) 19 days ago. At
first, DD was a great nurser but by day three when my milk wasn't
coming in, we had to go to finger feeding as she was losing too much
weight. Took me almost 8 days for my milk to come in.

After that, we could never get her to latch on much again. Not only
can we not get her to latch on, we can't get her to open her mouth to
feed.

I hear you, Denise.
I'm afraid I can't help too much with getting your little one on to the
breast, but I'm sure others here will have ideas to try. Luke and I went
through a similar start - complete refusal/inability to latch from the
beginning (I had an abundant supply, but still no dice). We had a couple
of other issues contributing to the difficulty - nothing that should
have been a deal-breaker, but it all added up to no latch despite good
LCs, skin-skin time, mucking around with nipple shields, finger feeding,
re-admission for intensive LC input, etc. I only came to terms with the
possibility that he might never latch at around the four to five month
mark, and I still offer.

I ended up exclusively pumping, and am still going strong at nearly ten
months. It was VERY difficult at first, but it got much easier in a
practical sense as time went on. If you end up pumping for a while, I'm
happy to answer any questions. Top two tips - rent a good hospital-grade
double pump (I use the Medela Symphony), and rig up or buy a hands-free
pumping bra.

A wonderful and supportive partner helps a lot, too.

Lara