Old August 4th 03, 06:28 AM
Charlotte M.

Default COMPLETLY at the end of my rope!!!!!!!!!!!!

"denise" wrote in message

Water broke at 5:30 - at noon, only diated 1cm so they started pitocin
slowly. By 4, they were upping it, by 7, they were adding fentynol (?)
and kept upping the pitocin for what seems like every 30 minutes until
midnight even though I was 10 cm by 8pm. Finally had the csection at
2am.

That's one heck of a birth story.

What I'm looking for in here is whether or not your baby was born doped up
on medical pain relief. From what you've told me, the answer is yes on this.

Part one in unravelling this is that your baby has probably still got a
massive headache from the birth. The drugs take much longer to clear out of
a baby's system than it does yours and this can affect all of your baby's
when your apple-sized head hurts.

So, there's clue one. If your baby is still cleaning out the meds, your baby
may be a baby with a crappy suck for a few more weeks.... which is to say
that this MIGHT be a temporary situation. (More below. I'm not done yet.)

Gave her a bottle when we came home.

Alrighty. This is a second important clue. You may also be dealing with a
baby with nipple confusion. So, a dopey baby with a headache and nipple
confusion is what I'm guesstimating so far.

BTW, the reason why I'm asking all this stuff is because I'm shooting in the
dark. You're not sitting in my office where I can see you and see what's
going on. Posting on MKB is a long process that involves both of us sitting
at computers trying to answer crazy questions. In the end, I may be able to
help you with some more options to try... and maybe not. However, if I can
get as much info as possible, I might be able to make some better
guesstimates.

Don't know how much she lost - they just told me she was close to
losing 10% of her weight.

This is totally normal. WAY normal. I have another few questions in he
was she diagnosed with jaundice or dehydration?

She was 6 lbs 8 oz at births. At two week
check up though she was up to 7lbs 4 oz.

HOLY huge weight gain!

Gave birth at 37w3days.

OK. She was slightly undercooked by some standards, but a healthy weight.

Can't count!!! Probably every time at first and then 3-4 times a day
towards day 6.

Did you put her breast less often by day 6 for any particular reason?

She licks, then thrashes and will NOT open her mouth all the way. Then
cries, roots, cries, screams, won't open her mouth - roots the
opposite way, they goes into full ultra-sonic panic mode.

OK... another question in he what was she suctioned with at birth? Did
you or your spouse see it and can you describe it?

Rarely does
she just lie there unless she's asleep and when she's asleep, we can't
get her to move for all the tea in China.

LOL. That is 100% normal behaviour. In a few weeks, you'll look back on that
and wonder what happened?

Finger with a syringe and small tube that the LC gave us. She whips
her head back and forth even as we're jamming the bottle in. Sometimes
she only grabs the tip.

OK. I'm pretty sure I know what is going on. If you can give me some answers
to the questions above, I'm going to make some educated guesses and what
you're dealing with.

The good news is that I think you'll be able to deal with the problems...
and yes, that word was plural. The hard news is that you're going to need
some serious patience AND you will definitely need your partner or someone
to help solve the problem. You can do it alone, but you'll solve it easier
if you have an extra set of hands.

I don't feel like it.

Well, you've last almost twenty days and you've used as many resources as
you could find. This is no small amount of work and you should be very proud
that you have done as much as you have. You're abviously committed to your
baby.

Thanks for any help.

You're welcome. I just hope I can help. :-(
The internet has its limits.

--
Charlotte Millington
Director, Global Birth Institute