Old September 5th 08, 11:47 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_5_]

Default school supplies!

If the school is in an area where the majority of students couldn't
afford such a trip, then that's when you have to start appealing to
local companies etc. not expecting the few that can pay to pay for everyone.

I doubt VERY much if we would have been allowed to do that at a public
school.

Why not? I read just today of a huge amount of money travelling between
a local company and the local school district, perhaps what makes it ok
is that the money officially comes from a foundation, which was created
by the owner of the company and technically is his choosing to do
something with a portion of his earnings. But the company does directly
channel a lot of money in to local schools (we could be the only school
district where ALL the high schools made the national top 100 last
year), it's never as simple as just handing over the money, but for
every hour an employee gives their time to the school, such as
volunteering in the classroom the company gives 17 dollars to the
school. For every donation an employee makes to a charity, the donation
is matched - I'm not sure exactly what bits of school are registered
charities, but PTA fundraisers must be. It would be VERY interesting to
see a break down of where money came from for the entire budget, I
would guess that a significant amount does come indirectly from this one
company.

Cheers
Anne