Old January 24th 09, 06:17 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Evening Primrose Oil?

I've kind of been looking around a little and I've come up with a few hits
that this evening primrose oil might be something that can start labor. I
can't really find much info on it, though. One site said something about it
can help to "naturally ripen the cervix" and also recall reading something
that it can be taken orally as early as about 34 weeks and vaginally after -
or something like that.

Does this stuff actually help to induce labor? Would it be an idea to do
around the 38-39 week mark? I know my doctor is going to start talking
about c-section right away. With DD1, I was scheduled for the OR when,
IIRC, I was only 8 days over due. With DD2, it was when I was only 1 day
over due... I'm not going to have a section unless it's absolutely necessary
and is actually *medically* necessary where if I don't have a c-section it
could put me/the baby at risk. Otherwise, I will not want a c-section just
for convenience.

I went to pick up some castor oil (which did the trick in a fantastic way
with DD1) but Walmart was all sold out. I'm giving this baby an eviction
notice no later than this weekend, and I am planning to try and enforce it
around my due date, which is 2 weeks now. I'm not looking for an immediate
solution to kickstart labor just yet, mostly because I do still have 2 weeks
to go, but any time after NEXT weekend would work just fine for me, as I'm
just not having a very good time with this in the least. Plus, 1 week on
either side of my EDD is just fine with me. I guess any time from now on is
considered full term, but I think I would much rather go another week before
trying anything. Right now, though, I'm just trying to take a little time
to find out my options about what I could or shouldn't try.

I've heard of this evening primrose oil, but haven't really heard all that
much about it. I'm also wondering where I would start looking for it...
Would it be found at a regular store? A pharmacy? A health food store?